Danjlal - Eggplant Purée
Serves about 8
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- l/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
Place eggplant in a 375 F preheated oven, then bake until skin begins to blacken and becomes blistery. Remove and allow to cool.
In the meantime, heat oil in a frying pan, then sauté onion over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the green pepper, then sauté for further 10 minutes.
Peel eggplant, then mash and add, along with remaining ingredients, except tomato, to frying pan contents. Thoroughly mix, then place on a flat serving platter. Decorate with tomato then serve.