eCommerce Education Series to the Gulf Region (GCC)
Date(s) - 09/21/2021
9:00 am - 11:00 am
World Trade Centre Toronto
About this event
Our market education series provides a comprehensive overview of a specific market and sector. Following this forum, you will be able to better understand the barriers to entry, identify concrete export opportunities, and assess your company’s initial market readiness.
This is a unique opportunity for Canadian brands that are seeking to expand into the Gulf region and want to learn more about the challenges and opportunities that are present when entering.
Why The GCC?
• The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) consisting of six member states (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates) is one of the largest regions in the world with a combined GDP of $3.65 trillion and a population of 54 million.
• Middle Eastern markets have the highest per capita spending on luxury products. The average annual online spend in Saudi Arabia and UAE is between $600-$1,300.
• eCommerce in the region has seen a jump in market value from $5 billion in 2015 to a projected $21 billion by the end of 2020. The pandemic has prompted a large migration in eCommerce, with increases in shopping app downloads and online sales.
• The GCC is a political-economic alliance and common market that eases the movement of goods and services amongst citizens. This enhances opportunities for Canadian firms selling to the region—for example, selling to the UAE allows access to the Saudi Arabian market and vice versa.
• Saudi Arabia is the largest market in the region with a population of 34.3 million and a GDP of $782 billion which accounts for 47% of the region. The total value of the eCommerce market for consumer goods was estimated at $6.31 billion in 2020, a 28% increase over the previous year. 64% of Saudis now report buying a product or service online every month.
Market Overview– A socio-economic overview of the market and highlight top sector trends, opportunities, and risks
Entry Methods– Defines the types of entry requirements, the legal framework to operate in each market, key exporting strategies, and the steps required to enter a foreign market
Considerations- Provides participants with the key taxation and trade barrier considerations and steps to take for export success
Success Stories – Highlight one or two export success stories from previous MAP graduates who have successfully sold and scaled their product or service internationally.
Upcoming Workshops + Missions – The next steps of the program will be presented introducing the activation program and in-market mission dates will be revealed.
Who should join us
Trade-ready Canadian companies with consumable or wearable products that are interested in capitalizing on the potential of Gulf Region consumer markets.
Industry associations and service providers interested in connecting to and building relationships with high growth Canadian brands and Gulf Region partners
• Education about the main socio-economic trends, opportunities, and risks from best-in-class subject matter experts in the Gulf Region
• Presentations from in-market experts on entry methods, legal frameworks, taxation, trade barrier considerations, and key exporting strategies
• Success stories from previous MAP grads and upcoming workshops and missions