International Conference on Celebrating Arab Women: Agents of Change and Progress
Date(s) - 11/07/2020 - 11/08/2020
International Conference on Celebrating Arab Women: Agents of Change and Progress (ICCAW-2020)
November 7-8, 2020
Online Conference in Honor of Nawal El Saadawi
Organized by the Journal of Arabic and World Literature published at Andromeda Publishing and Academic Services (London, UK)
Women in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region contend with social practices founded on patriarchal values, confining them to a secondary position in these male-dominated societies. History, past and contemporary, is, however, also replete with examples of inspirational Arab women who transcend this socio-cultural reality, and successfully subvert that dominant narrative. These women have carved out public space for themselves and others throughout history, and have thus been effective agents of change. Examples are authors and historians, such as Huda Shaarawi, Nawal El Saadawi, and Fatima Mernissi, and writers like Sahar Khalifeh, Liana Badr, Huda Barakat, Ahlem Mosteghanemi, Leila Abouzeid, and Meral Tahawi, and the 2019 Man Booker Prize winner, Jokha Alharthi.
This conference is organized to celebrate the variety of roles of MENA women, past and present, to celebrate them, and to call for substantial change towards women’s equality in our Arab region. This call for papers invites submission of abstracts from scholars and graduate students. We welcome disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches from various fields, including literature, gender studies, history, law, public policy, and sociology. This is however, not an exhaustive list and we welcome papers showcasing and celebrating Arab women beyond those disciplines.
Suggested topics include:
· Nawal El Saadawi: A Vindication of the Rights of Arab Women .
· Women’s Empowerment in Egypt: Policies and prospects .
· Fatema Mernissi’s Double Critique of Arab and Western Views on Women .
· Women and Media in the MENA region: New Subjectivities .
· Women Writers in the MENA region: Alternative Narratives .
· Women Filmmakers in the MENA region: Cinematic Language as Action.
Conference Steering Committee Members:
· Prof. Francesca Maria Corrao, Professor, Arabic Language and Culture, Department of Political Science, Director, Master MISLAM, LUISS Guido Carli University, viale Romania 32, 00197 Roma, Italy .
· Prof. Kamal Abdel-Malek, Chief Editor of the Journal of Arabic and World Literature, and Visiting Scholar, Harvard University, USA.
· Dr. Sanaa Benmessauod, American University of Ras Al Khaimah.
· Prof. Adel Awad, American University in Cairo
Please submit your abstract (no more than 500 words), with three keywords and references, along with a short bio (no more than 150 words), including affiliation and email, to: email@example.com
Article Submission Guidelines at http://journals.andromedapublisher.com/index.php/AWL/about/submissions
Submission deadline: September 7, 2020
Notification of acceptance: September 14, 2020
Registration Opens: July 11, 2020
Registration fees for participation is $25 USD .
Registrant who is interested in presenting a paper should pay an addition $125 USD, which includes reviewing and publishing that paper in the AWL journal .
Deadline of registration to participate in the conference and paying the fees is October 30, 2020.
Participants and Registrants will be provided with the Zoom link to enable them to join the conference sessions.
Payments can be made by bank transfer to:
Bank Name: Barclays Bank
Address: 425-427, Shirley Rd, Southampton SO15 3TH, UK
Account Number: 80632503
Sort Code: 20-79-31
IBAN Account Number: GB47 BUKB 20793180632503
Swift Code: BUKBGB22
Beneficiary’s Name: Andromeda Publishing and Academic Services
Beneficiary’s Address: 178, Merton High Street, London, SW19 1AY, United Kingdom
or Credit Card via the PayPal
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to register!