Introduction to Arabic Maqam /Turkish Makam/influences to Flamenco
Date(s) - 09/17/2020
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
About this Event
Arabic Maqam / Turkish Makam workshop
Flamenco melody through Arabic and Turkish maqam.
Learn how to listen the melody of each letra or solo, recognize sing or play, analyze, develop through groups of scales as well as improvise on top of the overflowing flamenco harmony.
Either you understand music theory or not you CAN organize and enjoy your performance 🙂
Topics of the class:
• The general concept of what is maqam (makam) music.
• Why flamenco can be easily explained through maqam and how it is so different than European music.
• The beauty behind the differences of these two traditions (Flamenco and Maqam) with a common history of many centuries.
• Main Families of Maqam
• The tuning of the two traditions as it is taught today.
• Basic structure of maqam and how to blend it in other styles of music.
• Melodic development of free improvisation.
No knowledge of maqam/makam system is necessary to attend this workshop…Since practice is more important than theory it is strongly suggested whoever is interested in this workshop to be ready to sing or bring their either equally tempered or microtonal …“plus-one” …string or wind instrument.
We work on letras that we learn on other classes of our program both musicians and singers.
Instructor: Anastasia Zachariadou
All the times refer to Western European Time (Amsterdam/Berlin)
This class is part of the program of our virtual flamenco singing school “iam-flamenco” and it can be combined with the rest of the classes , for a whole fee of 150 euros/month.
– Vocal flamenco singing technique with Alba Guerrero
– Flamenco singing repertoir with Alicia Acuña
– Flamenco Singing with Yota Baron
– Arabic music in flamenco with Anastasia Zachariadou
– Flamenco palmas and rythm classes with Juri Kuefner
– Flamenco Codes for dancers with Claudia Karapanou
More info by mail firstname.lastname@example.org
We collaborate with professionals when we need to translate from Spanish to English: Language School ABANICO (www.abanico.gr)
Find out more about iam-flamenco singing school here
Anastassia got her flute diploma in classical (Western) music in Thessaloniki/ Greece. She studied
“multiphonic flute/acoustics” in Corvin University (Budapest – class of Istvan Matuz).
She expands her music studies in Greek and Arabic traditional music by studying kanun. She graduates
from Berklee College of Music (flute/Performance – class of Matt Marvuglio) and for five years after
that she is an apprentice of Emilio Lyons in woodwind manufacture/repair in Boston MA. In U.S. she
taught flute/kanun and participated in concerts-recordings mainly in Boston and New York with many
well known artists. In 2011 performed as a soloist (Kanun) with the Orchestra of the Library of
Alexandria for the Opera “el Sakaa Maat” which was presented in the Library of Alexandria, Egypt.
Since 2014 she holds a Masters in Kanun Performance (ITU, Istanbul – class of Halil Karaduman).
From 2009 until 2018 she taught Kanun in Macedonia University (Thessaloniki). Since 2009 is
collaborating with musicians of pop/folk and Greek traditional music. Since 2017 she is a PhD
candidate in Music Department of Aristotle University (Thessaloniki). In 2019 she founded “The Music
Fabrica” company and she published the “Maqam/ Makam – Mode” APP for iOS and Android.
Click here to register!