Lebanon's Economic Crisis: Expectations & Solutions - Free Online Session by I Have Learned Academy
Date(s) - 06/02/2021
10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Free, but donations are appreciated USD
I Have Learned Academy and Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Beirut
Wednesday, June 2, 2021, from 10:30 am to 12 pm CDT.
Expectations & Potential Solutions
In Collaboration with the German Foundation: KAS – Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Lebanon office
– Lebanon’s economic crisis: A tragedy in the making
– Why the country is in crisis?
– How did we get here? What is being done?
– Where do we go from here?
– Predicting how the crisis evolves from here is difficult: different scenarios.
– Ambition for a better future must guide the necessary adjustment
– Financial stabilization and structural adjustment will be challenging
– Solving complex intertwined problems/ calibrating policy instruments to Lebanese specifics.
Structural adjustment in public finance
– Restructuration of the financial sector (banks / BDL)
– A consolidation of the banking sector is certainly needed.)- Outsourcing certain public services and privatizing assets
– Clarification of monetary strategy and bank oversight should help to restore confidence
– Exchange rate management
– Tasks of the next government (reforms, IMF, Negotiations with Bonds Holders, debt restructuring)
– Lebanon’s Economic Crisis Explodes, Threatening Decades of Prosperity
– Prolonged crisis of governance, bad planning, corruption …
Maurice Matta is the Head of the Economy Department at Annahar Newspaper and Media Group in Lebanon. He is also a familiar voice in Lebanese radio talk shows and on the national television channel MTV, where he produces and presents daily financial news and is the concept creator and host on “The Start” on MTV, and “E-start”, a weekly show dedicated to new startups and upcoming entrepreneurs in the MENA region.
Maurice is also a Financial Expert in “IT’S ABOUT TIME صار الوقت” with Marcel Ghanem, a weekly political talk show broadcasted on MTV Lebanon tackling the latest updates and political topics.
He is also the Concept Creator of “Reghem kel Shi” on MTV, a daily segment trying to spread positive vibes in the community (covering initiatives, success stories…).
An economist at heart, and economic media expert and journalist since 2009, Maurice not only reports the news but also provides solutions for decision makers & support entrepreneurs. He has held consultative positions for Lebanese and Arab international banking institutions and universities where he provides not only business and financial strategies but also information on key market trends in the region. Maurice is also a social activist and a founding member of several Lebanese NGOs.
I Have Learned Academy is a place where you can learn everything that you didn’t learn at school!
Check all our upcoming workshops here: