Muslims Giving Back Ramadan Iftar: Community, Our Obligation
Date(s) - 05/24/2019
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Grand Prospect Hall
Asalamualaykum Muslims Giving Back Friends and Supporters,
Our annual Ramadan iftar and fundraiser will be on May 24th from 6pm to 9pm at Grand Prospect Hall. This year, we are excited to break bread with our community and seek your support in continuing our five key projects: The Asiyah Women’s Center, Need2Feed, our Food Pantry, Project Transform, and Mercy Bakery.
Our iftar will serve a four course meal and FREE parking will be available for our guests as well as FREE babysitting.
About our projects:
1. The Asiyah Women’s Center is the first Muslim women family transitional home in New York City that accomodates to survivors of domestic violence, refugees and victims of homelessness. Since our opening in August of 2018, we’ve empowered over 75 women and children to get back on their feet by providing shelter, meals, transportation, legal support, medical referrals, and job placement services. Recently, our work was featured in a range of papers including The New York Times: https://nyti.ms/2X3o9rj
2. Through our project Need2Feed, we have distributed over 50,000 meals throughout the past seven years, to the homeless in New York City. We’ve collected hundreds of coats, blankets, socks, and hygiene kits for distribution.
3. The Muslims Giving Back Food Pantry, has provided over 82 tons (165,000 pounds) of food to families in need in our community. Our food pantry also serves as an emergency pantry that contains food and essential items such as non-perishable foods, baby formula and diapers, and personal hygiene items.
4. Project Transform has improved the lives of over 35 families by supporting families with long term assistance. We’ve provide over 120 months of rent for families in need and have transformed their homes by refurnishing and stocking up their fridges.
5. Mercy Bakery has targeted the starvation crisis in Yemen by opening up three bakeries that provide loaves of bread for the public. The great staff of Mercy Bakery (HRD) in Yemen are comprimsed of six strong young female Yemeni orphans. They have distributed over 60,000 loaves of bread in Yemen.