Palestinian Liberation and Settler Colonialism
Date(s) - 04/05/2022
4:00 am - 5:30 am
Simon Fraser Student Society
About this event
In light of the establishment of the first SFSS issues policies on Palestine Liberation which will be voted on April 13 at the SFSS Council Meeting.
Come join us on Monday, April 4th at 6:00 pm PST for a panel discussion on Palestinian Liberation and Settler Colonialism: The role of student unions and organizers in the movement for Palestinian liberation.
We’ll be jumping into how numerous supporting reports have indicated the lived experiences of Palestinians, and the apartheid that Palestinians have to live under at home as outlined in the Human Rights Watch report, B’tselem report, and Amnesty International’s report. Through these, it is clear that settler colonialism has been central to the displacement and ethnic cleansing of Palestinians. However, reports are just the tip of the iceberg – more needs to be done and Palestinians have long called for organizations across the world to take action to hold complicit institutions and organizations accountable for the actions of the Israeli government and the present state of affairs. Come to this discussion to hear multiple panelists speak about this to prepare yourself to engage with the upcoming issues policy!
Questions that will be discussed surround:
- What can organizations abroad do to ameliorate the lived conditions of Palestinians and put pressure on the state of Israel?
- How did we succeed in pressuring South Africa to end anti-Black apartheid in South Africa and what are the lessons that can be learned across Palestine?
- How can Palestinian people, Arab people, and Jewish people abroad stand in solidarity and pressure institutions to adopt policies such as BDS and other tools to pressure the state of Israel?
- Are these policies enough? What’s next?
We will be joined by 6 astonishing guest speakers:
- Marianne El Mikat (Moderator, UBC Students for Palestinian Human Rights Member)
- Sid Shniad (Panelist, Founding member of Independent Jewish Voices Canada)
- Dalya Al Masri (Panelist, Palestinian writer, and journalist)
- Parsa Alirezaei (SFU Student and The Caucus Member)
- Hanan Dudin (Panelist, UBC Students for Palestinian Human Rights Member)
- Steve September (Panelist, Vancouver Anti-Racism Coalition Member)
This SFSS drafted issues policy titled “Palestine Liberation” is proudly supported and endorsed by the following groups:
- SFSS Free Palestine Working Group,
- SFU Student for Justice in Palestine (SJP),
- UBC Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights (SPHR),
- the Palestinian Youth Movement Vancouver (PYM),
- BDS Vancouver – Coast Salish, SFU Arab Student Association (ASA),
- SFU Migrants Students United (MSU),
- SFU International Student Advocates (ISA)
- SFU First Nations, Métis & Inuit Student Association (FNMISA),
- SFU Students of Caribbean & African Ancestry (SOCA),
- SFU Disability and Neurodiversity Alliance (DNA),
- The Simon Fraser Public Interest Research Group (SFPIRG),
- SFU Radical Individual’s for Solidarity and Equity (RISE),
- SFU International Studies Student Association (ISSA),
- SFU 350,
- Anti-Racism Coalition Vancouver (ARC)
- The Caucus
- Canadian Voices Against Racism (CVAR)
- SFSS Published Statement on the Israeli Colonisation of Palestine: https://sfss.ca/sfss-statement-on-the-israeli-colonisation-of-palestine/
- SFSS Issues Policies: https://sfss.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/SFSS-Issues-Policies.pdf
- Palestinian Liberation Issues Policy Draft: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hjr_l5lgkdM0YI9sKmtxNgiEN2s8kzLZlp9LfH36kd8/edit?usp=sharing
To register for this event, please click here