Persons with Disabilities in Conflict: Inclusive Protection Perspectives
Date(s) - 05/28/2020
9:00 am - 10:30 am
United Nations Mine Action Service
This virtual side event, which coincides with the United Nations Security Council Open Debate on the Protection of Civilians, will focus on the disproportionate challenges facing persons with disabilities in humanitarian, conflict and post-conflict settings.
Almost one year after the milestone adoption of United Nations Security Council resolution 2475, it will highlight the gaps in the Protection of Civilians (PoC) agenda with respect to persons with disabilities, while exploring some of the innovative solutions being developed, implemented and promoted.
Chaired by the Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, Ms. Catalina Devandas Aguilar, this discussion will share insights from speakers and panelists from the Governments of Poland and the United Kingdom, the European Union, UNMAS, Humanity & Inclusion (H.I.), the International Disability Alliance (IDA), and others.
This event is co-organized by the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Poland to the United Nations, the United Kingdom Mission to the United Nations and the European Union, with the United Nations Mine Action Service. The concept note is available here.
Chair: Ms. Catalina Devandas Aguilar, Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- H.E. Jacek Czaputowicz, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Poland (keynote)
- H.E. James Roscoe, Acting Deputy Permanent Representative of the Permanent Mission of the United Kingdom to the United Nations
- Ms. Agnès Marcaillou, Director, United Nations Mine Action Service
- Ms. Bahia Zrikem, Humanitarian Policy Coordinator for Syria, Humanity and Inclusion
- Ms. Elham Youssefian, Inclusive Humanitarian Action and Disaster Risk Reduction Advisor, International Disability Alliance Secretariat
- Mr. Moaffak Alkhafaji, Deputy President of the Arab Organization of Persons with Disabilities/ Founder of the Iraqi Alliance for Disability
- Ms. Anne Kindrachuk, Chief of Field Office, Sana’a Hub, UNICEF, Yemen & Mr. Mokhtar Ali Hussein, Child Protection Officer, UNICEF, Yemen
Mr. Andreas Papaconstantinou, Director, Neighbourhood and Middle East, Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations, European Commission
[Followed by a Q&A session]