RIBA Gulf Live Lunch Talk - Urban Greenways for Dubai X-Space
Date(s) - 02/25/2021
3:00 am - 4:00 am
RIBA International Regions
Thursday, February 25, 2021, from 3:00 am to 4:00 am CST.
About this Event
This exclusive lecture is by Mouaz Abouaid, the founder and design principal of Verform, Dubai who was voted Middle East Architect Young Architect of the Year twice in 2014 & 2016 and nominated for Architect of the Year in 2018.
Theme: X-SPACE : Urban Regeneration Greenways for Dubai, with a live Q&A to follow.
Standing at the heart of Dubai, a desert city renowned for its pioneering vertical skyscrapers. X- Space sets out a new vision–that of the horizontal landscaper. As a nature and human oriented urban greenway, X-Space aims to provide connectivity to one of the world’s great metropolises. This public recreational, cultural, and communal space links the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, with the new Museum of the Future. At the epicentre of urban life and architecture, it runs atop Dubai’s major thoroughfare, Sheikh Zayed Road, converged into a tunnel when underearth the urban greenway.
X-Space lends itself as the lungs for a city looking to cut its carbon footprint. Inspired by the sand which frequently sweeps across the highways of the United Arab Emirates, X-Space creates the opposite visual effect by covering itself in natural flora. Taking into account how the car in Dubai has long been regarded as king, X-Space further fosters the human experience by allowing walking amidst scopes replicating nature not often found in the urban city.
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn and interact with one of the leading emerging architects in the Gulf region!
Tickets are free but book now to reserve your place at this fascinating talk.
Mouaz Abouaid is the founder and design principal of Verform design studio based in Dubai for architecture, urbanism, design and research.
Abouzaid was voted Middle East Architect Young Architect of the Year twice in 2014 & 2016 and nominated for Architect of the Year in 2018. That same year he was appointed curator for the Egyptian National Pavilion at the Venice Biennale. Other recognition includes finalist in Mohamed Makiya prize known as the Middle Eastern Architectural Personality of the Year Award , The World Architecture Festival, both overall award and first place in the Smart Cities category, for his X-Space project, in 2019. The previous year, at the same event, his Sheltainer design won the Ethics and Value category and Middle East Architect’s Concept of the Year. For the last four years Abouzaid has been included in the 50 most influential architects in the Middle East.
For more than 16 years he has worked at top international firms in the region, thus acquiring a vast range of experience in both specialist design and technological innovations across the sector. He embraces challenges and individual complexities which attach themselves to each project. Implementing high standards and utilising cutting-edge technology allows Abouzaid to manage multiple projects and accelerate timelines to meet client expectations and achieve deadlines.
If you have any membership queries please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can support you.
Terms and Conditions
· A photographer will cover this event and the images may be used to publicise future RIBA events.
· By accepting an invitation or purchasing a ticket you consent to being photographed, filmed or recorded as a visitor attending the event. · Cancellations must be made in writing to email@example.com. No refunds can be made for cancellations notified within 30 days of the event. To transfer your ticket/s to another individual/s, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
· Tickets to be transferred at least 14 days prior to the event. Complimentary tickets are strictly non-transferable.
· If the RIBA has to postpone or cancel the event the booker is entitled to a full refund of the ticket price only.
· On entry to the event you agree to accept and abide by any venue rules.
· The RIBA reserves the right to refuse admission to any ticket holder.
· If you are unable to attend any webinars or substitute a delegate, please inform at email@example.com at least 48 hours prior to the event date.
To register for this event, please click here