World Keffiyeh Day in Solidarity with Palestine #keffiyehday
Date(s) - 05/11/2016
Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights - SPHR Concordia
WORLD KEFFIYEH DAY – 11TH MAY
Wear your Keffiyeh – show your support for Palestine – remember the Nakba day
BE A PART OF A GLOBAL MOVEMENT
PLEASE SHARE AND MAKE THIS GO VIRAL!
**What is a Keffiyeh?
A keffiyeh (or kufiya) is a gender-neutral traditional arabian scarf that differs slightly based on the region. The traditional Palestinian keffiyeh, chequered black-and-white, has become a popular symbol of solidarity with the Palestinian people in their struggle against Israel’s occupation and colonization of Palestine.
**What is ‘World Keffiyeh Day’?
World Keffiyeh Day is a global movement initiated by Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights (SPHR), a student-run organization at Concordia University, located in the vibrant and cosmopolitan city of Montreal, Canada. World Keffiyeh Day (May 11th) is to be commemorated on an annual basis in conjunction with Nakba Day (15 May), in order to show solidarity with the Palestinian cause and struggle.
Nakba Day is an annual day that commemorates the displacement and ethnic cleansing of Palestinians following Israel’s Declaration of Independence in 1948. An estimated 700,000 Palestinians fled or were expelled from their land, and hundreds of Palestinian towns and villages were depopulated and destroyed. It is our responsibility to keep the memory of the Nakba alive.
To learn more about the Nakba, visit the Institute for Middle East Understanding (IMEU): http://imeu.org/article/
**Why wear a Keffiyeh?
– To show solidarity with the Palestinian struggle and Palestinians’ right to self-determination, justice and dignity
– To raise awareness about the Palestinian cause and Palestinians’ right of return
– To support the only remaining keffiyeh factory in Palestine, the Herbawi Textile Factory, located in Hebron, the West Bank (Hirbawi Textile Factory –http://www.kufiya.org/).
**Where can you purchase your Keffiyeh from?
– Visit Palestine’s only remaining keffiyeh factory (Hirbawi Textile Factory) at: http://www.kufiya.org/
Note: In addition to the traditional black and white Palestinian keffiyeh, Hirbawi also makes keffiyehs in many different patterns and colours.
– Hirbawi US branch (Threads of Palestine): http://
– If you are a Concordia student, you can purchase your keffiyeh directly from SPHR Concordia
**Be part of the global movement by:
– Spreading the word to raise awareness
– Wearing your keffiyeh on the May 11th
– Following the trends:
> Instagram hashtag: #KeffiyehDay
> Twitter hashtag: #KeffiyehDay