An Arabian Delight-Kudrit Kadir Recipe
BY: Sara Alsayed / Arab America Contributing Writer
Kudrit Kadir is a delicious Arabian dessert made out of three layers. The bottom layer is made out of chocolate cake, the second layer is made out of custard, and lastly is the caramel glaze.
Kodrit Kadir translates to “The will or power of Allah”. The reason behind naming the cake as Kodrit Kadir was because people were amazed by how the three-layered cake could enter the oven in liquid form and come out as three deliciously separated layers.
The caramel ingredients:
- Two tablespoons of water
- A cup of sugar
The custard’s ingredients:
- 200 grams of cream cheese
- A small teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 4 eggs
- A can of condensed milk
The chocolate cake ingredients:
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of room temperature butter
- 100 grams of melted chocolate
- A teaspoon of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 a cup of cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- A teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups of flour
How to make Kudrit Kadir
- Preheat the oven to 360° F and prepare a cake mold that has a hole in the middle and a rectangular tray.
How to make the caramel:
- Bring a small pan and put it on medium heat.
- Add the water and sugar and mix it till the sugar melts and turns into a golden or dark brown color.
- Pour the hot caramel into the cake mold and move it in a circular motion until the mold is completely covered with the caramel.
- Leave the cream caramel aside until it cools down.
How to make the custard:
- Whip the custard ingredients together in a bowl until you get a smooth and airy consistency.
- Carefully pour the custard over the cool caramel, making sure that the caramel is covered completely.
How to make the chocolate cake:
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add your butter and sugar to another bowl and mix it using your electric mixer on medium speed until you get a creamy consistency.
- Add your eggs and vanilla to the mixture and mix it until the eggs have been incorporated in it completely.
- Add your chocolate to the mixture and keep mixing it until it looks like chocolate.
- Gradually add the flour, alternating with the water, and continue mixing until the flour disappears.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the mold, making sure that it is leveled using a spoon and not by banging it on a surface.
- Add the cake mold to the tray that is filled with water.
- Carefully put the tray into the oven and bake it for an hour to an hour and a half until the cake is baked completely. (You can know that the cake is done if the toothpick or fork comes out clean when inserting it into the cake.)
- Leave the cake to cool completely, then put the cake in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or even overnight.
- Carefully flip the cake and serve your dessert.
Check out Arab America’s blog here!