Recipe of the Day
Samak Aeaish - Fish and Rice
Serves about 6.
- 2 pounds hamour fillet, cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ibzar
- oil for frying
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 hot pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste, diluted in 1-cup water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 lemon, finely chopped (with peel)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
Rub fish pieces with a combination of lemon juice, half of the salt and half of the ibzar, then marinate for 30 minutes.
Place oil to in a frying pan to a depth of 1 inch and heat, then roll fish pieces in flour and fry over medium heat until light brown – about 10 minutes, turning over once. Remove fish pieces and drain on paper towels then set aside, but keep warm.
Remove oil with the exception of 4 tablespoons, then sauté onion and hot pepper over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and fresh coriander then bring to boil and cook over medium/low heat for 10 minutes, stirring a number of times. Stir in remaining salt and ibzar as well as chopped lemon, then stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in rice then cover cook over medium/low heat for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and stir then re-cover and allow to cook in own steam for 30 minutes.
Place rice on a platter, then arrange fish on top and serve.