Recipe of the Day
Koussa Mahshi - Stuffed Squash
- 16 small green squash, about 5 inches long
- 1 lb ground lamb or beef
- 1 cup rice, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- l/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups tomato juice mixed with 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Cut off stem ends of squash and reserve, then core squash. (Corer can be purchased from Middle Eastern stores.) Set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients, except the tomato juice, to make stuffing.
Stuff squash, then close with inverted stem ends. Arrange tightly in a saucepan, then place inverted plate on top. Add tomato juice and enough water to cover plate, then bring to boil. Cover saucepan, then cook over medium heat for 1 hour. Serve hot.