QUIZ: Test Your Knowledge of the Health Benefits of Spices Used by Arab Americans
By: Udochi Esomonu/ Contributing Writer
Spices are essential to the Arab culture. Not only are spices used in dishes, but they are also used in everyday-life uses like skincare, hair care, etc… Arabs are widely known for utilizing spices for a variety of things, making them staples found in most Arab homes.
There are so many different kinds of spices and each spice is unique in taste, effectiveness, and its overall health benefits. Think you know a little bit about spices? Let’s test your knowledge of some spices that are commonly used by Arab Americans on an everyday basis.
1. Which spice is known for providing high levels of iron?
2. Which spice is commonly blended with Arabic coffee?
c. Black Pepper
3. Which spice is known to help cure nausea?
4. Which spice has been historically used as a powerful medicine?
5. Which spice is known for being a home remedy to insomnia?
6. Which spice is commonly used to alleviate menstrual cramps?
7. Which spice, when boiled with water helps to alleviate hiccups?
8. Which spice, found through a scientific experiment, was named the most effective spice against HIV?
9. Which spice is famously known for its high levels of Vitamin E, which allows it to aid in the healing of wounds?
10. Which spice is known for its effectiveness in safely disinfecting fruits and vegetables?
- c. Cumin
- b. Cardamon
- a. Ginger
- d. Cinnamon
- c. Nutmeg
- d. Sumac
- a. Cardamon
- c. Cinnamon
- a. Paprika
- b. Sumac