Recipe of the Day
Fatayer bi Sabanekh - Spinach Pies
- 1 1/2 pounds homemade bread dough or frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 package spinach (10 oz), thoroughly washed and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- l/8 teaspoon cayenne
Make a filling by thoroughly combining all remaining ingredients, except 1 tablespoon of the oil, then set aside.
Form dough into 20 balls, then place them on a floured surface. Cover with a damp cloth, then allow to stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Roll balls into 5 to 6 inch rounds, then place 2 heaping tablespoons of filling on each round, stirring the filling each time. (Alternatively the filling can be divided into 20 equal parts.) Fold dough over the filling, then close by firmly pinching edges together into half moon or triangle shape.
Place pies on well-greased baking trays, then bake in a 350 F preheated oven for 20 minutes or until pies turn golden brown. Remove from the oven, then brush with remaining olive oil. Serve hot or cold.