Recipe of the Day
Muhammara - Red Pepper Appetizer
This tasty well-known Aleppo dish, usually served as an appetizer, adds colour to a mazza table.
- 1 1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 4 large sweet red peppers
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup, dissolved in a little water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Place walnuts in a mixing bowl and set aside.
Place peppers in an oven, then broil for about an hour, turning them over a number of times until they blister on all sides. Remove from oven and allow to cool, then skin and remove seeds. Chop very finely or process in a food processor for a minute, then combine with walnuts and remaining ingredients, except pine nuts and olive oil. Spread on a platter, then chill for about 2 hours. Just before serving, decorate with pine nuts and sprinkle with olive oil, then serve with crackers or pita bread.