Recipe of the Day
Salonah - Fish in Tomato Sauce
This dish goes well with cooked rice or mashed potatoes. Serves about 8.
- 3 pounds hamour fillet, cut into large pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ibzar
- oil for frying
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 hot pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste, diluted in 1-cup water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 lemon, finely chopped (with peel)
- 3 1/2 cups water
Rub fish pieces with a combination of lemon juice, half of the salt and half of the ibzar, then marinate for 30 minutes.
Place oil in a saucepan to a depth of 1 inch and heat, then roll fish pieces in flour and fry over medium heat until light brown – about 10 minutes. Remove fish pieces and drain on paper towels, then set aside.
Remove oil with the exception of 4 tablespoons, then sauté onions and hot pepper over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and coriander then cover and cook over medium/low heat for 10 minutes, stirring a number of times. Stir in remaining salt and ibzar as well as chopped lemon, then stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium/low heat for 10 minutes. Add fried fish then re-cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Place in a serving platter with edges then serve.