Recipe of the Day
Chickpeas with Tomatoes and Sweet Peppers
Serves about 8.
- 2 cups chickpeas, soaked for 24 hours then drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large sweet red peppers, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small hot pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Place chickpeas in a pot then top over with about two inches of water. Bring to boil then cover and cook over medium heat for about two hours or until chickpeas are tender, adding more water if necessary.
In the meantime, heat oil in a saucepan then stir-fry sweet and hot peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat until vegetables turn limp. Stir in remaining ingredients then cover. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in chickpeas then simmer for further ten minutes, stirring a few times, then serve immediately.
Note: If a thicker stew is desired, most of the water in which the chickpeas were cooked can be drained before stirring into the remaining ingredients.