Recipe of the Day
Shawraba – Puréed Vegetable Soup
A wide range of soups can be found in Oman’s daily cuisine, made from lamb or chicken to lentils or vegetables. This tasty Omani soup is a fine example of the many other varieties. Serves from 6 to 8.
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups meat or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons oatmeal, mixed with two cups water
- 2 teaspoons crushed dry thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
In a saucepan melt the butter then sauté onion over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add potatoes, carrot, sweet pepper, cabbage, tomatoes and meat or vegetable stock then bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
Place saucepan contents in a blender and purée then return pureed vegetables to saucepan. Stir in remainder of ingredients, except lemon juice, and bring to boil. Cover and simmer over medium/low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally then stir in lemon juice and serve.