Recipe of the Day
Swayweih - Sweet Vermicelli
This unique Omani dish is a tasty addition to any gourmet breakfast. A typical Omani breakfasts consists of honey, laban and sayweih. Serves about 6.
- 2 cups vermicelli, broken into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped cashews
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 4 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron powder
Cook vermicelli according to instruction on package then drain and set aside
In another frying pan melt butter then sauté onion over medium heat for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in cashews and raisins and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except vermicelli, then stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Stir in vermicelli then stir-fry for a minute and serve.