Recipe of the Day
Tajine - Spinach And Bean Pie
Serves about 8
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb. beef, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small hot pepper, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can white kidney beans (19 oz 540 ml), with its water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 10 oz pkg spinach, thoroughly washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated white cheese, any type
- 6 eggs, beaten
Heat oil in a frying pan, then sauté meat over medium heat until it begins to brown. Add onions, garlic and hot pepper, then stir-fry for 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, beans, salt, oregano, pepper, cumin and water then bring to boil. Cover, then cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until meat is well cooked, adding a little more water if necessary.
In the meantime, melt butter in another frying pan, then stir-fry spinach until it wilts. Stir in the two frying pan contents and the remaining ingredients into a casserole, then place in a 350° F preheated oven. Cover then bake for 30 minutes.
Note: Excellent for snacks, as a side dish or even as an entree.