Recipe of the Day
2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and fried over medium heat for 10 minutes. Serves 8 to 10.
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced, then deep fried until light golden brown
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 10 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 4 tablespoons fried cashew nuts
Place chicken, ginger, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, turmeric, chilli, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in a bowl, then thoroughly mix and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Add onions, yogurt, lemon juice, mint, coriander, chilli and 2 tablespoons of the oil, then mix and leave to marinade for 1 hour.
In the meantime, place rice and water in a saucepan bring to boil, cook over medium/low hear for 10 minutes, then drain (reserve 3 cups of the water). Place half the rice evenly in a casserole, the cover evenly with chicken mixture. Place remaining rice evenly over top, then sprinkle with remaining oil. Mix reserved water with saffron and remaining 1 teaspoon salt then pour evenly over top. Cover and bake in a 350° F preheated oven for 1 hour. Decorate with cashews and serve.