Recipe of the Day
Shawraba - Lebanese Meat and Vegetable Soup
Serves from 8 to 10.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound chicken, beef or lamb with bones, cut into pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups water
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons zhug
- 2 tablespoons hulbah
- Arabic bread (pita), toasted and broken into pieces
Melt butter in a saucepan, then sauté meat for 10 minutes. Add potatoes, zucchini, onions, salt and water, then bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 hour or until meat becomes tender, adding more water if necessary. Stir in coriander, zhug and hulbah. Serve immediately with toasted bread.