- Global Fridays at the Arab American National Museum Presents Spiritual Journey: Victor Ghannam & Friends
(Friday, March 14, 2014 7:30PM)
- Project Syria Presents Saving the Mona Lisa: Let's Sponsor 500 Orphans
(Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:00PM)
- Muslim Women's Alliance 2014 Celebration of the Muslim Women
(Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:00AM)
- Petra Entertainment Presents Ali El Deek and Bassam Saleh in Concert
(Friday, March 21, 2014 8:00PM)
- Center for Arab American Philanthropy Presents "100 Arab American Women Who Care"
(Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:30AM)
|More Events Submit Event|
- Amer Zahr: Arab Americans! Join the Rainbow!
(Monday, March 10, 2014)
- Seattle Lawyer's Arab-American Roots to Play a Role in Campaign
(Sunday, March 09, 2014)
- Clovis Maksoud: Women's Empowerment Key to Development in Arab World
(Saturday, March 08, 2014)
- Judith Butler, Rashid Khalidi and Over 150 Other Scholars Condemn Censorship, Intimidation of Israel Critics
(Friday, March 07, 2014)
- Rola Nashef: Redefining Arab-American Narratives Through Romantic Comedy
(Thursday, March 06, 2014)
|More News Submit News|
- Usama Baalbaki - Shelby Township, MI
- Arabic Yellow Pages - Lakeside, CA
- Dr. Samer Dirani-Family Dentistry of Novi - Novi, MI
- Arab American National Museum - Dearborn, MI
- SignCo - Shelby Township, MI
Advertise with Marketplace
- Destert Rose Cafe - Wildomar, CA
- King of Shish Kabab - West Paterson, NJ
- My Hookah Cafe - Brunswic, NJ
- Al-Salam Halal Meat - Dearborn, MI
- Cafe Dahab - Los Angeles, CA
- Islamic Education Center of Irvine - Irvine, CA
- Islamic Society of Greater Lowell - Chelmsford, MA
- Cornerstone Journal (Quarterly) - Portland, OR
- Council On American-Islamic Relations Seattle Chapter - Seattle, WA
- Arab American League of Voters of NJ - Princeton, NJ
Chickpeas with Tomatoes and Sweet Peppers
Serves about 8.
- 2 cups chickpeas, soaked for 24 hours then drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large sweet red peppers, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small hot pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Place chickpeas in a pot then top over with about two inches of water. Bring to boil then cover and cook over medium heat for about two hours or until chickpeas are tender, adding more water if necessary.
In the meantime, heat oil in a saucepan then stir-fry sweet and hot peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat until vegetables turn limp. Stir in remaining ingredients then cover. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in chickpeas then simmer for further ten minutes, stirring a few times, then serve immediately.
Note: If a thicker stew is desired, most of the water in which the chickpeas were cooked can be drained before stirring into the remaining ingredients.
HABEEB SALLOUM, author of our "Recipe of the Day" series, is a Canadian freelance writer and author specializing in food, history and travel. Besides 6 books and 18 chapters in various publications, he has written hundreds of articles about culture, food, travel, history and homesteading in western Canada. His writing has appeared in such publications as the Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail, the Western Producer, Vegetarian Journal and Saveur.